GET TO KNOW FRANKLIN, NORTH CAROLINA
Franklin is the seat of Macon County, NC which was formed in 1828. The land was part of lands acquired from the Cherokee in the Treaty of 1819. The county is named for Nathaniel Macon, a politician from Warrenton, NC who served in the American Revolution and the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate.
Franklin is located in the southwest corner of North Carolina and has a rich and well documented history. Unlike many Western NC counties, most of Macon's records have survived, which is very fortunate for historical resear-chers. The present-day site of Franklin occupies Nikwasi, an ancient and important Cherokee town. The remains of Nikwasi Mound can still be seen today near the center of Franklin.
Franklin also has unique ties to the Civil War. Thomas' Legion was formed here and the last Confederate surrender east of the Missippi took place on Main Street at Dixie Hall which was located at the site of the Macon County Courthouse.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Historical structures and sites abound as well with a total of six structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Be sure to see:
The Albert Swain Bryson House - Now a private residence this beautifully preserved home was known as Hall in the Pines. It is a prime example of fine living in the era of 1875-1899. Located just off East Main Street on Pine Lane. You'll enjoy the romatic appeal of this home.
Franklin Presbyterian Church - The original sanctuary has been restored to its original state when it was built in 1854. It's 12" thick walls and original windows complete with handmade glass are just some of the features of one of Franklin's oldest standing structures. Located on Church Street.
Franklin Terrace - Built in 1888 the Franklin Terrace was originally a Methodist Boarding School for Women. It later house the Franklin public schoool. Located on Harrison Avenue.
Nikwasi Mound - Franklin's location was once known as Nequasee or Nikwasa, translated "Center of Activity" by the Cherokee. It's historical relevance dates as follows: 999-500 BC, 499-0 BC, 0-499 AD, 500-1000 AD, 1000-1499 AD, 1500-1749 AD, 1750-1799. The Eastern Band of the Cherokee respectfully request no climbing on the mound so that it may be preserved. Please feel free to visit the mound on East Main Street and walk around it, but please honor the Cherokee's request.
Pendergrass Building - Now housing the Macon County Historical Museum, this former mercantile store remains much unchanged today. Built in 1904 it houses a tremendous collection of Macon County History.
Jesse R Siler House - Located on West Main Street this private residence features Georgian/Federal architecture and is built around the original residence which was a log cabin built in the 1700's. The home is now owned by the Jones family which have occupied the residence for five generations